When families began moving westward into the Iowa territory, they found land in this area to be good for farming and pasture so they decided to settle in Jerome. As soon as they had a home and some shelter for their livestock, they saw the necessity for three things. One of the necessary things was a cemetery, so land was purchased for $10. A Methodist church was organized in 1855, ten years after the conference was established in Iowa. Services were first held in homes until the construction of a log schoolhouse in 1857 west of the cemetery. Charter members wee Calvin Jackson and wife, Jim Kenney and wife, Grandma Thomas, George Jackson and wife, Delila Jackson mother of Calvin Jackson, eight in all. The circuit rider's name was RichardBallender. In the fall of 1870 they commenced to build a church. The work was mostly donated. Men took their teams and wagons and went into Missouri to cut the lumber, haul it to the sawmill and from the sawmill home. They would often be gone a week and sometimes two weeks. The flooring, siding and shingles were hauled from Albia. The first church stood on the same site as the present church. The land for the church was deeded to them by Peter and Susan Sidles. It was a gift and the deed was recorded June 23, 1871. Women of the community donated rags and Mrs. Jackson wove carpets for the aisles. James Hagan and Allan Taylor superintended the carpenter work. Mrs. Hagan and Mrs. Calvin Jackson boarded the workmen without cost.
The building committee for the new church was Joe Barton, chairman; David Loofbourrow, treasurer; and L. J. Norris. The local minister was James Priestnal. Since there was no fund to start with, these men worked very hard and spend many hours collecting the money. D. D. Wilson was the carpenter and was known as a perfect workman.